passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

Ghost Koi Query

Ghost Koi Query

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:06 am

Hi,
    Relatively still new to Koi keeping, as some of you will know from other forums,but i have a question about Ghost Koi.

I always thought that they were a bit of a mongrel in the world of Koi keeping and mainly used as pond fillers. A lot of people dont rate them and seem to move them on in favour of better fish.

However, I have just been on a nishikigoi site and found an 8 yr old ghost koi for
    sale @ £850!! Can someone please explain? Are there better varieties of ghost or is it just a personal thing? This is it on this link (if ok to post the link?)

http://www.nishikigoi.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1404&category_id=44&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 (if not you an take it off)

I have a large male Ghost which came with the pond and always thought he was just a cheap pond filler. Now i discover that he may be worth more than i thought?..Mmmm any ideas anyone ? lol

Dee
    x
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Re: Ghost Koi Query

Post  chr1ssy on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Dee

It is a personal choice when buying koi as to whether you think the fish has a value to your enjoyment. When you get to show koi level then the price goes up considerably.

I personally think that the link to the ghost koi and the price they are asking is very optomistic along with this chagoi on the same site.
    Price :
    £3,950

http://www.nishikigoi.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1076&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Dee and welcome to the forum. bounce cheers
    As Chrissy said it is a very optimistic price and to be perfectly honest that site is mainly hobbyists and not dealers - in a way another "fleabay" BUT on saying that I have seen some prices from dealers for certain koi that I wouldn't even look twice at

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Mmmm, So I suppose it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day then. I am getting a better eye for fish but not the budget to match it! lol

So for now, i will stick with my mottley bunch whilst am learning and hopefully i will be able to revamp my pond in the future. At least my fish are healthy and seem happy enough! I enjoy watching them anyways! lol!

BTW I wud never pay nearly 4 grand for a fish (unless i was a millionairre with unlimited budget) !! Could have a new car for that! lol
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 pm

How about posting pics of your fish Dee?
    Like you I would also never pay large amounts of money for a fish - I simply could not justify it

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:51 am

OK, I will try to take some decent ones of them.

When i moved in 2 years ago the pond had some excellent Koi in, however, the deal was that i would look after them until they could be moved as he had sold most of them and that he would leave me a few to start me off.

BUT the ones he left me started dying one after the other. He told me this always happens when they come out of their dormant stage as the bacteria is more active than them. He told me to salt bath the poorly fish and salt the pond and that should do.!! Then he came round and hit the poorly fish with a shovel to kill it and flung it onto the garage roof next door for the seagulls to eat! I was horrified!

That is when i found a koi forum and got some advice. Took a poorly one to be scraped and discovered they had flukes, treated the pond and been great since.

So all i have left from the originals that he gave me are:-

1 large Ghost Koi male called Bruce cos he is the boss of the pond! lol and 1 large Sanke called Speckle!

Then the rest of the pond fillers range from 3 or 4 decent japanese quality that i purchased but the rest are just cheap tiddlers that i am growing on. Oh, and one large white one that i took from a friend as its spot on its head had faded and it wasnt good enough for him so i've got it and its called Comet!

There's also 1 shubunkin and 4 goldfish that i (reluctantly) took off my next door neighbour in an emergency situation when her tank burst! But they seem to enjoy it in there! lol

Now that i can see them all up and feeding they do look a lovely array of colours so i am not that bothered about their quality at the moment.

It isn't the right shape of pond to be practical to keep koi to a show standard. For example, it is really difficult to net a fish as its nearly 6 foot at the deep end and once they dive down there, you've had it cos there's planting all around and very hard to get at them.

It is very picturesque and natural looking though and a real feature to the garden.

Post  Guest on Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm

dee the pond - koi hobby is what you like it to be .im a little obsesed,always trying tgo better my self , which isnt a good thing , as some times you forget to enjoy what you have .but when you learn the health side of things it becomes rewarding.so stick with it.some say mutts i say just a different koi , hope this helps .

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 am