passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

3 posters

What method for my new pond?

What method for my new pond? Empty What method for my new pond?

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:28 am

Ok - I have been stewing over this subject for a couple weeks now...

What method of filtration/size filter would you recommend for my new pond - as i am trying to design location/size.

The pond will be atleast 4000g or more if i can...

Looking at bottom drains with gravity fed filter... thoughts and recommendations welcome please Smile
    valleykoi
    valleykoi
    best in variety

Number of posts : 478
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

What method for my new pond? Empty Re: What method for my new pond?

Post  valleykoi Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 pm

A great question.

4000 gallons

Are you having 1 bottom drain.?

Is there going to be a skimmer involved..or 2 ?

EA Nexus 200 will cope with 4000.

Pod on the skimmer?

Pete

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:33 pm

I recall a couple year ago, I was told the nexus filters arnt comparable to standard chamber filter...? Not as effective?

I would think two bottom drains would be more appropriate for the size of the pond - as although i indicate 4000g i will hopefully beable to go bigger... but working on the premise of 16' x 8' surface area.

Skimmer - i was undecided on, it seems it will be useful - but unsure how to build this into my pond as it will be block built. I have someone do two feeds from the skimmer, one going through to the filter, the other going to a water fall/feature, with valvles on both pipes so you can control where you want it to pump the water...

I want an effective filter without spending big bucks...

What size UV would be recommended? and what size heater? I have heard talk of 1000g to 1kw, would i be better opting for a 6kw which should more than excees req's?
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Filters are down to what you want - for ease of cleaning and effectiveness = big block built
    if you want excellent bio and mechanical filtration but no wet hands when cleaning = Nexus 300 - I know pete said a 200 but i would opt for the larger gives more scope
    maybe a bead filter on the skimmer line for polishing the water
    I currently operate a nexus 200 on my outdoor pond and I would only change it if I had more space and that would be for a block built filter

UV I would go for minimum 55watt and as for heating I would look toward Gas rather than electric unless you have money to burn lol

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Took a look at the Nexus system - seems impressive (but expensive). Trying to decipher all the different options...??

So there is the Nexus 300 - this filter

What else do i need?

Media?

Water polisher/air backwash kit?

Answer 410?

Eazy retro kit?

And what are they all? scratch

What are my other options other than the nexus? And how would the nexus work via gravity fed? As i thought the pump needed to go in the filter?
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:15 pm

a nexus 300 eazy will come complete with media (k1) the only other thing you will need is an air pump to agitate the k1 - if you shop around you can easily get good deals ie free air pump , free uv etc
    The nexus works exactly the same as any other gravity fed filter - the pump is on your return line to push the water back to the pond
    the retro kit / backwash kit and answer 410 are all for the old nexus before the nexus eazy
    check the brochure here
    https://passion4koi.forumotion.net/filtration-f2/evolution-aqua-eazy-t73.htm

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info - read through plenty of pdf's now and starting to come together...

Nexus looks pretty impressive.

So if i wen for the Nexus Eazy 300, what pump, uv and air pump would be good options? Also do i get all the stop valves for the inlet/outlets?

Skimmers - what am i looking for here? Can i get a 'built in' skimmer for a block built pond? If so, how is it achieved? Is it worth putting the skimmers outlet through a polisher? or even through a waterfall for simplicity? or both? What water polishers would i be looking at?

Sorry for all the questions!

Head aches or what - not looking forward to the plumbing! (not that the pond is even built yet! lol) Shocked
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:08 pm

With 4000 galls you should only need 1 bottom drain if you go for 2 then double the cost and also 2 air turbulance flows I am assuming you will be using aireated bottom drains.

If you have the space then I would definately go with block built settlement chamber, with K1 & Jap Matting simple setup very easy to maintain. Skimmer to sieve and on this flow line you can mount your UV.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 pm

all valve work comes with the nexus
    your uv would depend on how much sun your pond will get but i would say a minimum of 55watt
    pump - for 4000gall i would go for the aquamax range around 15000 litre per hour range depending on length of pipe work
    a small bead filter on your skimmer - in wall skimmers are common place and quite easy to install

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks guys

Was looking at the aerated bottom drains - cant believe the price difference tbh...

Anyway - can i use the same air pump as the nexus for aerating the pond?

Can you elaborate further on a block built filter?

Initially i was thinking along the lines of a GF chamber filter, with 4 chambers - 3 of various media (poss. jap matt, k1 and flocor?) last chamber will house the pump returning to the pond via a UV.

I was then going to install a skimmer, which would feed a waterfall - possibly via a bead filter as suggested?

Its trying to weigh up cost with quality...
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 pm

you would need an extra air pump for the bottom drains
    as for the block built I will leave that to chrissy as that is her domain

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:21 pm

talk about service! Very Happy

Just out of curiosity - you guys dealers? Or keen hobbyists?
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:24 pm

just keen hobbyists...just want to learn and help without the usual crap you get on the other forums
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Here is a layout of a block filter, it is essentially a larger version of what you have described.

What method for my new pond? Standardfilter2-1

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:38 pm

just getting my head round this...

from pond into settlement chamber - essentially empty, with a bottom drain for emptying sediment?

A 4" wall (block built?) with a connecting pipe + valve? to the next chamber (what are you using for the perforate sheet?)filled with k1 and a air pad at the bottom for circulation?

Then into the jap matting (what is separating the jap matt form k1?)

Then into the return pump via UV?

Thanks
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Yes if you are building your pond with blocks then at one end you make and additional chamber 1 metre wide that incorporates the above system.

To seperate and contain the K1 media people use perforated grids like this pic.What method for my new pond? Perforatedsheet

www.koiklean.webeden.co.uk

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 am

one more thing - do i need a protein skimmer?
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 pm

I would say no you should not need a protein skimmer, reason: if you get the adequate filtration for size and stocking levels allowing for growth of koi and feeding then the filtration should deal with any protein in the first place.

I know others do use protein skimmers and swear by them it is a personal preference.

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:48 am

Hi again guys

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Needing some additional advice...

After a period where plans were off - they are now back on. I put the plans on hold as I was looking to move house, but we have decided to stay put for a while. Because we will still be moving in a couple of years, I have decided to do a budget build for now.

This will be approx 1700g built on an existing concrete hardstanding. (approx 15' x 7'6" x 3' deep). I am going to do a block built pond (unsure on liner - a box weld seems best option). People keep saying how box welds are as effective as Fiberglass, but much cheaper - what sort of price will i be looking at if anyone knows?

Back to the real question - what are my best filtration options for a 1700g - on a budget?

I was thinking of the nexus as previously mentioned - as i was hoping to have fitted in an external cupboard already in my garden... cant help but think there may be better (cheaper) options?

Thanks!
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi,

So the build is back on. The nexus has a small footprint which appeals to many people others like vortexes and barrels with K1 a cheaper option. What I would say is try and fit a bottom drain in as it keeps the pond floor cleaner. Also consider making it more than 3 ft deep as koi really do need 1 metre minimum this helps limit the temp fluctuations in cold weather.

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi Chrissy

Thanks for the advice. The depth was a concern, however there is already a concrete base in the garden at ground level, and would be dificult to go higher than 3'. Bearing in mind, I am intending on heating the pond which should keep the temp stable.
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:30 pm

The depth and heating is ok if you are only going to put a few small koi in. How will you fit a bottom drain if the concrete base is already set.

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Unfortunately this wont be possible - i will be setting up using a pump fed system.

I will be growing on a few small koi until we move house. Probs get some 5-6"
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 pm

you could always use the retro bottom drain - not the nicest thing to look at but the next best option if you can't fit a bottom drain

Post  Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks for the tip - never seen the retro fit drains

What benefits will I gain from this as opposed to using a pump in the pond?

I was also thinking about how to best do the pipework to make it hidden as possible.

Other thing i'm looking for is some sort of inlet waterfall - i want one of those that have a small lip that inlets the water like a blanket (they look a bit contemporary)...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:19 am