passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

3 posters

Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds?

anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds? Empty Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds?

Post  anubisram Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:19 am

Ozone is a most wonderful substance, provided you're not a really small
    living organism. It is the second strongest oxidising agent known. This means in
    a nutshell that ozone rushes around like a mad thing, finds something it can
    attach itself so and oxidises it. By oxidise I mean react with, but in a
    specific fashion. Ozone can thus be used to supplement existing filter systems
    in Koi ponds to varying effect. This is great news. Ozone thus has the potential to wipe out any free floating
    algae, viruses, pathogens, free swimming bacteria and so forth, reducing itself
    to beneficial dissolved oxygen in the process! Is this too good to be true?Well, yes and no. Yes, if you run too much ozone in the pond, so much that it
    starts getting into your biofilter before being completely broken down - under
    these circumstances I would think that most of your Koi would already be dead
    (oxidised!). No, if you run it in appropriate quantities. This is yet another
    reason why it is important to know exactly your Koi pond volume...Too little ozone won't do any harm. It just won't do much good either. As with
    all things there is a balance. To all intents and purposes Ozone is not measured, it is the Oxidising Reduction Potential of the water which is measured in
    milliVolts - the more ozone there is, the higher the mV reading. The table below
    serves as an illustration. I sourced it from
    http://www.ozoneapplications.com

0-150 mV ... No practical use
    150-250 mV ... Aquaculture
    250-350 mV ... Cooling Towers400-475 mV
    Swimming pools450-600 mV
    Hot Tubs600 mV
    Water Disinfection
    *800 mV ... Water Sterilization
    In water, ozone's half life is remarkably short - from the same site:
    Dissolved in Water (pH 7) Temp (C) half-life is 15 degrees ...
    30-minutes 20 degrees ...
    20-minutes 25 degrees ...
    15-minutes 30 degrees ...
    12-minutes 35 degrees ...
    A half life is the time taken for the concentration to halve. So at 15C, the concentration of ozone after one hour is a quarter of what it was at the start.
    I am aware of some thoughts made public on the internet of how people would not use Ozone because of fish "falling apart" when you stop using it or the fish are moved into a system that does not incorporate ozone in its system. This would suggest that ozone destroys the fish's natural immune system by keeping it in a sterile environment - I would not say that this is untrue BUT a.) if it was a sterile environment then your fish would already be dead as sterile water cannot support life of any form and b.) from a human point of view, if you have to go to hospital and you are cared for in an ITU which operates in a "sterile" manner, does this mean when you go home you are more susceptible to disease / illness?I believe that this thought may have derived from someone who used ozone on their system and stopped, if the filter system is not performing appropriately then a build up of pathogenic bacteria will occur and will attack . Ozone is not the be all and end all of koi filtration but a very useful add on tool if used correctly.
    valleykoi
    valleykoi
    best in variety

Number of posts : 478
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds? Empty Re: Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds?

Post  valleykoi Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:54 am

Thanks for that.I have been reading about this for a while now trying to get to grips with it.All info is needed to get a clear picture.

Pete
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds? Empty Re: Ozone - does it have a use within koi ponds?

Post  chr1ssy Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:18 pm

I have been out to a pond today that has had terrible problems over the last 12 months and he has now installed an ozone unit and I have got to say his pond and koi are looking much better than they have done for a long time. So in this instance yes it does have a place in keeping koi/water.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:22 pm

ooo possibly a convert chrissy?? Very Happy
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Not for me personally as my system works very well but for the friend I visited it has certainly worked, as he completely changed his filter system from 2 nexus 200 due to not adequately filtering his pond. He has now installed 2 seives and a huge bubblebead and that did not work either so he added the ozone at huge expense, so one up to ozone at the moment. lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am