passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

3 posters

Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems

anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems Empty Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems

Post  anubisram Sat May 30, 2009 2:15 am

Something I had not thought about until recently with my growing on fish flicking. I was making a list of what I needed for the koi medicine chest as most are past use by dates - I had not realised how limited you are in using medications above 20c.
    For me currently at 25c if I wanted to use pp I would have to drop the temp considerably (18c) to use it or risk killing the fish. To my mind this then poses a risk as you are now making the environment unstable creating more problems
    just food for thought
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems Empty Re: Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems

Post  anubisram Sun May 31, 2009 12:02 pm

UPDATE
    Further to my concerns about flicking I bit the bullet caught a kikusui and done a scrape - found 5 flukes. Now the next bit should be a lesson to us all - certainly to me because I could be facing wipeout due to my haste.
    Having found flukes I immediately decided to treat with Fluke m. As I was putting the last bit in I noticed my Beni Kumonryu in the corner of my eye looking a bit sorry for itself. I caught it and done a scrape and to my horror the dreaded Whitespot!!!!
    Now because of my haste I am stuck - I have treated with fluke m but now need to treat for whitespot
    Suggestions most welcome - except for you should have known better
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems Empty Re: Treating "grabmegotchas" in heated systems

Post  sheryl Sun May 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Might be something on here Rich I was reading about the treatments it might tell you if they can be mixed

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat520.html
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Sun May 31, 2009 3:20 pm

Oh dear 2 options take out the beni kumonryu and give it a malachite dip or do water changes to dilute out the fluke M. Or just sit it out until the fuke M is done think its active for about 5 days then a big water change check the fish for all parasites and treat accordingley.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:53 pm

well my Beni Kumonryu made the decision for me - couldn't bear to see it in such a sorry state so 50% water change and dosed with F&MG
    Tried to seek advice from as many sources as possible - nobody could say if fluke m would react with other treatments so had to bite the bullet
    monitoring closely and fingers crossed
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:22 pm

Hope they all come through this treatment OK.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:27 pm

me too - i had to do something - just wish that I hadn't been so stupid and done things properly from the beginning
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Post  sheryl Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Well good luck I hope they all turn out okay for you Rich
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:58 pm

unfortunately, the beni kumonryu was too far gone Mad Crying or Very sad
    the kikusui seem ok and back to their normal selves
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear you have lost your favourite and much sought after koi, hope the others pull through.
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Post  sheryl Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear that Rich! I hope the other one pulls through okay for you

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:57 am