passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

3 posters

diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos)

diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) Empty diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos)

Post  Guest Sun May 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Last night I noticed a Koi looked poorly, it was bloated and seemed to be swimming in a strange way, like it was an effort to stay upright.

It was too late to do anything so i planned on getting it out this morning to have a closer look and possibly do a scrape etc BUT alas, the poor thing was dead at the bottom of the deep end of the pond. Crying or Very sad

It showed no signs of flashing, none of them have. Water params are spot on, temp getting upto 14 to 15 with plenty of air going in. I thought it might of been spawning and couldnt manage it.

So,.... we gave it a squeeze and loads of eggs (or wotever its called) came out. On further investigation, (autopsy) it was filled with the stuff. Hope the photos dont upset anyone, take them off if they do. It wasn't red under the gills, more like the colour of fresh chicken fillets.

Just wondered if you had any idea what killed it please?

AND wot type of Koi was it?

Cheers
    Dee
    N.B 3 More pics on the next post as didnt know how many it could fit on

diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) A10
    diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) B10
    diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) C10

diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) Empty Re: diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos)

Post  Guest Sun May 31, 2009 5:27 pm

Now for the gory photos :-

Shocked
    diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) D10
    diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) E10diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) F10

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos) Empty Re: diagnosis of this Death plz? (Gory Photos)

Post  chr1ssy Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It does look like egg impacted, although female I am not sure that it was a koi as it is quite small, did it have barbels ? Koi take a few years to mature.

The gills will go pink as soon as the heart stops and no blood is pumped through so not an indication of illness.

Very brave to do an autospy well done sure you have learnt something from this.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:33 pm

chr1ssy wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss.

It does look like egg impacted, although female I am not sure that it was a koi as it is quite small, did it have barbels ? Koi take a few years to mature.

The gills will go pink as soon as the heart stops and no blood is pumped through so not an indication of illness.

Very brave to do an autospy well done sure you have learnt something from this.
    My thoughts too Chrissy - could not see the barbules in the pics my guess would be a sarasa comet
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Post  sheryl Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Dee I know you sent me the pictures yesterday! but not the ones opened up I can see why you went off your salmon salad now lol!

Post  Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:49 pm

sheryl wrote:Dee I know you sent me the pictures yesterday! but not the ones opened up I can see why you went off your salmon salad now lol!

I know!! No It took me a couple of hours to bring myself round to cooking the salmon and eating it after that little post mortem!

Hey, ya right, it may not have been a Koi but was sold to me as a Koi Evil or Very Mad

Well, wotever the poor little mite was, i liked it and now its gone to the big pond in the sky Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Just wondered if you had any idea what killed it please?

Probably egg impactation, not alot you could have done for it, it is just one of those things with fish.

Post  Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks, feel a bit better knowing it couldnt have been helped as I dont think it would have appreciated me squeezing it whilst it was still alive!! affraid

I didnt realise they could hold so many eggs, practically the full body was full of them.

R.I.P fishie

x

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:52 am