passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

4 posters

indoor tank

duckviglen
    fry

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

indoor tank Empty indoor tank

Post  duckviglen Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:49 am

well after thinking it over, and talking to the old wise man i have decided to build a new pond in the garage. the size will be 8ft x 4 ft x 3ft approx. i took a trip dowm to brighouse koi aka quality koi company and the owner took me down stairs where he has some holding/ quarantine tanks. We had quite a long natter and the guy has been keeping koi for a good 30 years, he was showing a filter that he designed and now runs on all his ponds, this consists of a small vortex to take the crap and then he feeds up to a filter box that spray bars down through one layer of wool then down the very smooth but highly porrus rock, then gravity fed back into the pond, the water was spot on very fresh smell, he had very high stocking levels and the base of the ponds were very clean, the filter has no maintainence apart from the vortex and a change of wool when ever you see it turning colour.
    i was very impressed by this set up so i am going to use this system as i dont need to hide the filters,
    i had a look at some shiro's utsuri's that he had just brought down from his koi farm at home bred by himself from japanese brood stock, they were 4-6"long perfect whites with very dark black and very good pattern in the body, a little pricey at £95 but they looked very good quality,
    So roll on winter and the build will start, ime even going to try and build a fry tank and have a go at raising some at the same time.
    gfrears1
    gfrears1
    best in size

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

indoor tank Empty Re: indoor tank

Post  gfrears1 Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:59 am

Good luck!

I will be setting my 700gallon qt up in the shed shortly
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:29 pm

No not another one !!

Have you seen this filter wool working on any other pond except at this outlet ?
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Filter wool and sponges are well know to provide a reservoir of nitrites if not changed / rinsed on a daily basis
    duckviglen
    fry

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post  duckviglen Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:30 am

Hi Chrissy
    no ive not seen this system on any other set up before, thought i would give it a go, seems such a simple set up.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am