passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

2 posters

buffering high ph ponds

john shabs
    john shabs
    egg

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2010-08-02

buffering high ph ponds Empty buffering high ph ponds

Post  john shabs Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 am

my pond fluctuates between 8.8 and 8.4 ph scale daily (whether it is a whole .4 but those are the colours on the api test. It never varies from this.

i know its not an issue having high ph...just have to keep a very close eye on any ammonia spikes.

my kh is 5 degrees and my GH is 9

now i know 5 is acceptable but understand that 6 is perfect for buffering and stopping any ph crashes.

my question is bicarb of soda is suggested to be added to ponds to increase the KH of water and will raise most peoples ponds to a ph of 8.2 and keep it stable at this level...does it also work the other way too in that it will drop your ph to 8.2 too???

i've also trawled the internet too looking at how i can buffer the water without bi-carb and have come accross a product called "koi-masters advantage" which also claims to buffer water (but doesn't mention any alterations to ph) and floculates fines...has anyone any experience of this product?

john

chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

buffering high ph ponds Empty Re: buffering high ph ponds

Post  chr1ssy Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 am

My own experience of buffering pH is the opposite of yours ie: very low pH & kH in the area where I live.

What I do know is you can add buffers to bring the pH up but not to bring it down, Koimasters is a very good additive to the pond ( think it contains bicarb ) but someone else may put that thought right.

So I think you are stuck with your pH at what it is, your filters will use up a small amount and you will never have to worry about a pH crash lol What is the pH & kH of your tap water ?

If your fish are happy and show no signs of ill health due to pH fluctuations then I would not try to alter this.

Current date/time is Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:23 pm