passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

4 posters

KHV announcement

anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

KHV announcement Empty KHV announcement

Post  anubisram Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Urgent Notice and Report on Infection of KHV (Koi Herpes Virus) February 27th, 2009
    = To worldwide Nishikigoi lovers and dealers =

We regret to announce that it had been reported that three KHV infected Nishikigoi were found at a Koi farm located in Nagaoka City, Niigata on February 26th, 2009.

Following a suspected positive test on the 23th February the Koi farm was immediately examined in accordance with the KHV Niigata Prefecture office test guideline resulting in two more positive tests.

Fortunately they haven’t transferred, nor sold, any Nishikigoi since regular KHV examinations last year proved negative. Therefore, no risk will be presented to Nishikigoi hobbyists or dealers.

Niigata Prefecture ordered that the farm be disinfected, all Nishikigoi examined and, subsequently, culling of all the KHV positive Nishikigoi. The Koi farm has also been banned from transferring Nishikigoi anywhere. All efforts are being made by the prefecture for eliminating possibility of KHV infection.

We are very sorry for anxiety caused by the occurrence of this KHV infection. At the same time, we trust that you will rely on the immediate and correct information we aim to provide.

Information provided by International Nishikigoi Promotion Centre
    valleykoi
    valleykoi
    best in variety

Number of posts : 478
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

KHV announcement Empty Re: KHV announcement

Post  valleykoi Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Any breeders names yet?

Pete
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:39 am

No sorry I have drawn a blank on it. Although it does say they had it last year so have not exported koi anywhere since, so not a problem for hobbiest.

And too many breeders in the Nagaoka Prefecture to speculate.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Still not found any further news on this in respect of which breeders are referred to. However, my heart goes out to them - to be subjected to a two year ban in the current global economic climate could be disastorous
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Post  sheryl Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:09 am

It's a nasty business KHV I know it wiped out my full pond within days!koi I had for 7 years. It does how ever make you realise that you don't always know everything. I can only really blame myself as I did not quarantine the fish, I took the word of the seller who said he had put them through rigorous testing, I know no this was not the case now and would always advise anyone to quarantine before adding them to your pond.

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:43 am

this is one when you need a good dealer,one you can trust.the reason being,they do the heat ramp for you and acclimatise the koi.a time taking process.also a lot of koi in japan are heavly salted,and dealers get them used of our water.so if you heat ramp fish that have all ready been through the process your stressing them out for no reason.so find a dealer you trust or dealers and stick with them,this reduces the risk of khv.when buying koi ask the dealer to see his qt set up,most are more than happy to show you.
    valleykoi
    valleykoi
    best in variety

Number of posts : 478
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post  valleykoi Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:30 pm

The heat ramping is an absolute must do.I have heard of some dealers getting their stock on Friday and they are for sale on Monday...keep away

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:50 am