passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

2 posters

Goshiki Variety

chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Goshiki Variety Empty Goshiki Variety

Post  chr1ssy Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:08 am

Goshiki variety of koi has come about over years of cross breeding. So to understand what the qualities are we need to go back and understand how it has come about.

Goshiki originates from the crossing of Asagi and Kohaku, bear this in mind when looking at goshiki the clues are there. The blue scaleation of the asagi and the deep intense Hi of the kohaku. There are many characteristic in-between the metamorphism of the goshiki.

Goshiki Variety AsagiKohakutoGoshiki
    So remember the scaleation of the Asagi which gives a blue to grey netting and then add on top of this the Kohaku Hi . Some breeders have tried adding Hajiro (black Koi) bloodline into this which gives a sumi look to the scaleation. So you will see goshiki around that are very pale to very black based skin ground, there are many different combinations as the Goshiki variety continues to be developed. Understanding its roots is a big help towards looking at the variety and seeing its qualities. It is personal preference as to which variation you prefer and I do hope this has helped some of you to look more closely at the koi when purchasing one for your own pond and pleasure.

Last edited by chr1ssy on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Goshiki Variety Empty Re: Goshiki Variety

Post  sheryl Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:18 am

I really like these now the more and more I see them i am tempted to buy one for my pond!

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:12 pm