passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

4 posters

What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders

anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Empty What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders

Post  anubisram Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:04 pm

I know British koi breeding has come on in recent years but obviously there is still a divide between our koi and those imported from Japan - why do you think this is?
    Is it the quality of the parent fish?
    Something missing in the culling procedure?
    Difference in water quality?
    Lack of available varieties produced by UK breeders?
    What do you think?
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Empty Re: What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders

Post  anubisram Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:53 am

can you tell which is uk and which is japanese?
    What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders K2000410What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Shiro410
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Empty Re: What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders

Post  anubisram Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 am

and again
    What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Kohaku11What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders K2000210
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 am

and again
    What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Yamabu11What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders K2000412
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 am

last one
    What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders K2000110What seperates UK from Japanese Breeders Showa510
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:45 am

Ok I will have a stab at this one :

Pic 1) Shiro Utsuri, The first shiro has great body shape nice clean shiroji(white) Motoguru is excellent this koi has ouzes quality with lots of developement to do. Japanese.
    The second shiro has lots of Sumi(black) spread the length of the body which is very well developed this to me is a finished koi, English Breed.

Pic 2) Kohaku : The first pic is of a finished koi the Beni is a little sparse and as it grows this will be highlighted more, the shiroji is good. English Breed.
    The second pic again says quality in the breeding the shiroji is WOW even on the head of this young tosai, the width on its shoulder is brilliant, sashi and kiwa are good and lastly the pattern as it ticks all the right boxes for everything else. Japanese Breed

Pic 3) Ogon : Not much to choose between these 2 koi as they are single colour so points to look for are scalation and body shape and clean heads. They both have their own qualities and this is where the English breed can compete with the Japanese. A pure guess on this one first ogon UK breed. !!

Pic 4) Showa : The first showa has so much going for it body shape is good Beni has some weak spots but the under lying sumi will over ride this. Shiroji is very good a great little Tosai to watch Develop. Defo Japanese maybe Dianichi !! The second showa is not a patch on the first, the soft beni is weak and sparse where as the sumi is bold and over rides the beni too much for a young showa. Shiroji is bright and motoguru is good, alas I can see this showa becoming a shiro. English Breed.

Look forward to hearing other views on these :

Post  Guest Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:05 pm

its what ya want,if you like what ya seeeeeeeeeeeee thats whats matters.im not a koi snob,but jap is nice lol
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm

More to the point on this as no one else commented on their qualities, was I close with any of them. Rolling Eyes

Post  Guest Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:26 pm

some of theses pics have photo shop skills on them so its hard to give a comment.and even harder to tell the breeder.we look we like we buy.one mans night mare is another mans dream .
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Post  chr1ssy Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:41 am

Very true we all are at different levels, I would still like to know the outcome of this test !!!
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:28 am

I was actually waiting for more responses - but you were right Chrissy
    Simon as for Photoshop being used I don't know as I just lifted them from web sites
    gfrears1
    gfrears1
    best in size

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post  gfrears1 Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:05 am

Just found this thread.

I picked the same as Chrissy, but couldnt put it over quite so eloquently tongue

I think that there is a big future for the British bred koi and the quality has improved but dont think that we will be as good as Japan's finest for many years
    valleykoi
    valleykoi
    best in variety

Number of posts : 478
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post  valleykoi Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:44 am

I agree..

Chrissy put it so well.

The British koi are getting better every year but they are not to the standard of the Japs yet... maybe Chagois!!

How about another inclusion

This may need putting somewhere else but what are your feelings on Asian/Magoy/Malasian koi!?

The price is a lot cheaper than Japan and some are looking good quality but...the vaccination for KHV...would you want 1 next to your beauties.

Love to hear your comments..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:44 pm