passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

3 posters

Fish Asleep

Fish Asleep Empty Fish Asleep

Post  Guest Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this so please bear with me, I have only had a pond less than 12 months it was there when I moved into this house.

What I would like to know is do fish sleep as most of the fish in our pond are sat on the bottom and look as though they are a sleep. Is this normal behaviour ?
    sheryl
    sheryl
    best in variety

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Fish Asleep Empty Re: Fish Asleep

Post  sheryl Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 pm

It is for this time of Year!! Mine are usually on the bottom, having said that they have been up on the top the last couple of days while the weather has been milder. Very Happy
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Good question !
    One could argue that fish do not sleep in the true sense of the word as they do not possess eyelids and therefore cannot close their eyes - However, it is scientifically proven that they do have periods of rest (sleep) in which they take up a position close to the bottom or ledge.
    BUT!! as you can see the fish in this position I would assume you are viewing in daylight and in such "sleep" would be my last resort. You do not mention if you are heated or depth of the pond - this could be a behaviour associated with low temps.
    It could also indicate water quality issues - have you tested recently
    You can also look at possible health problems
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Welcome, no koi do not actually sleep they do rest though and as sheryl has said they do spend time on the bottom when the temperature is cold.

Do you know what depth the pond is and the type of fish you have.?

Post  Guest Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:32 pm

the pond is about 3 1/2 foot deep and has a green box filter with a bulb in the lid. No it is not heated in the water as it did freeze over a few weeks ago but it is ok now. But the fish are just sat on the bottom most of the time I know they do move around when i put food in, I just thought they might be sleeping.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  anubisram Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:37 pm

at that depth it will be a reaction to the water temps
    but please take the temp of your pond and stop feeding immediately - they do not require food at present as they cannot process it - it will then put a load on your filter which with current temps will not be working efficiently

Post  Guest Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Ok I will get a thermometer and check it, I only put a few flakes in every couple of days the water is very clear at the moment.

Thanks

Tom

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi again

I have taken the temperature of the pond and it varies a little each day it is around 4C average. I have stopped putting any food in will this help, they are still sitting on the bottom most of the time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:51 am