passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

2 posters

Koi Masters Advantage

anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Number of posts : 632
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Koi Masters Advantage Empty Koi Masters Advantage

Post  anubisram Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm

The following is from Chris Masters on why he developed Koi Masters Advantage

I have always used clay and still use Refresh on a weekly basis.The Japanese breeders use it and Mark Crampton who "is" a friend of mine used it.It is some 20 odd years ago that I first encountered it.

I breed my KOI and with many fry,my parent koi and own collection I run heavily stocked.

3 years ago I noticed that my water "quality" did not appear to be what it had been,so for my main 7000 gallon pond I decided to install a bead.Strangely for me I did some investigation beforehand and found the only filter I have ever looked at which quoted in some literature "will remove the waste from a kilo of food at 35% protein in a 24 hour period given a thru flow rate of 3500 gallons per hour".There was another proviso.that the water to be filtered had a KH value of 4 degrees.On checking I found that my pond was virtually zero and the tap supply was zero.I needed to adjust it because KH is the buffer to PH in case of the pond going acidic,normal KOI pond conditions tending to go in that direction.

On the question of KH and in my trialing of ADVANTAGE I found that KOI seem unaffected at low KH or high KH,but that the filtration bacteria need it for survival,hence my "poorer" water quality.

So I came up with an assist to raise my KH values because that is one of the effects whilst "advantage" is in suspension. My water clarity was always good even better after the introduction of Refresh,it is now better still.I also noticed a marked improvement in skin quality,both lustre and sumi quality.Finally (and with KOI appetites being good already)some people may not see it as a benefit my KOI were/are perpetually on the look out for food.In the 3 years I have been using it (and in a heavily stocked environment) I have grown a Yamabuki from 46 to 80 centimeters,that koi is 5 years old in June and still growing.I am a firm believer in the fact that,in any pond environment the bacteria within it should reside in the filter.Whilst I cannot prove it I also believe that advantage will flocculate bacterium as well as waste particles,therefore reducing the level of pond borne bacteria.

You can obtain advantage from DOCK KOI,KITSU KOI,Clinton at the NOTTINGHAM KOI co under his own product name and RICHDON KOI under the name replenish.If it is easier I can supply myself on collection at @29.99( for one of our large tubs),we are in barnsley and you are always welcome to visit.

As a future development I am looking to making an advantage plus which incorporates a montmorillonite clay,sourcing a quality supply which is adequately refined and at a reasonable price is not that easy,we are looking.
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Koi Masters Advantage Empty Re: Koi Masters Advantage

Post  chr1ssy Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:35 pm

A very interesting read and nice to see a hobbiest bringing something onto the market. I will have to try this especially if the montmorillo clay is not going to be available this year.
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm

As he states both Richdon and Nottingham have put their own names behind this product...and we know how strict Richdon are for endorsing products
    chr1ssy
    chr1ssy
    best in variety

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  chr1ssy Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Yes heard some good reports on this too.

Last edited by chr1ssy on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show

Post  anubisram Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:10 pm

I had a look on Richdons and he does make reference to it
    anubisram
    anubisram
    best in show