passion4koi

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
passion4koi

a place for people to meet and discuss all aspects of koi keeping and appreciation

4 posters

My 6000 Gallon Log Pond Build

shiromia
    fry

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

My 6000 Gallon Log Pond Build - Page 2 Empty Re: My 6000 Gallon Log Pond Build

Post  shiromia Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:37 pm

hi anth just been looking at the link to the pools you posted if you look at the edge detail you can see that this is a
    dovetail joint this would be better and stronger than the log cabin corner detail you posted earlier,just athought m8 Smile

Dermot
    valleykoi
    valleykoi
    best in variety

Number of posts : 478
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post  valleykoi Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Any news on the new build yet.?
    anth.payne
    fry

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2010-05-15

Post  anth.payne Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Well there has been some big changes in the plans. I dont think I could really explain my plans, but I am going to end up with 2 ponds... One will be 12'x10', and the other will 16'x24'.

The area they are both going in is a 24'x56' section of the garden, which is sectioned off with 6' high trellis panels. The whole area will be decked around the ponds, on 3 different levels.

The smaller pond is half built, once I get this completed I will then be concentrating my efforts on the larger pond over a longer period of time.

I will try and get some pictures up...
    anth.payne
    fry

Post  anth.payne Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Also, the smaller pond i think is going to be filtered by a bead filter. I'm yet to design the filtration system for the bigger pond.

...valleykoi (sorry I dont know your name) - i was looking into trickle filters based on experiences from marine keeping, which I know are great at stripping out nitrates and ammonia but they dont seem to be common in the koi trade - i did however notice KockneyKoi have recently released one - could you get a price for me?

Or suggest any other options? I came across the one below - as i was thinkig of having a stainless steel cascade... and this has a similar effect...

http://www.ultraaquatic.co.uk/pondfilters.asp?pid=69

Thanks, Anthony
    kashiraponds
    fry

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post  kashiraponds Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:18 pm

read through it a little misleading, it looks to me as if its another company jumping on the Shower band wagon. They list all medias that can be used then mention the New media used on showers. What they mean is BHM. If this media is used the filter will have to used in a complete different way, it then goes from a TT to a shower as the amount of water needed over the media is atleast 100% an hour.
    Showers are just fantastic units and superb filtration if used correctly and filled with correct media. I make and sell planty of showers, although I must admit I would only ever advise to fill with BHM.
    Justin
    anth.payne
    fry

Post  anth.payne Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Yes, I am familiar with the showers and the BHM, which appear to work well, but what I have been looking at is Crystal Bio as the media, which works well in a trickle environment, due to it's construction.

With the trickle, you promote anoxic filtration on the inner part of the media stripping out the nitrates, and aerobic filtration on the surface, aswell as getting high oxygen saturation levels.
    shiromia
    fry

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post  shiromia Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:33 pm

hi anth any news and pics on ur pond build?

Dermot

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:37 am